What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a unique collaboration of select independent healthcare systems that have been vetted by Mayo Clinic and granted special access to its knowledge, expertise and resources. As part of the network relationship, Mat-Su Regional can work with Mayo specialists directly to benefit patients and consult Mayo’s subject matter experts to benefit our organization.
What does this formal collaboration mean for patients and physicians?
Our providers have access to Mayo Clinic resources, including clinical, educational and research information, as well as the ability to consult electronically with Mayo Clinic specialists through eConsults and eBoards. These resources will help keep more of our patients close to home for their care. Shared expertise gives patients additional peace of mind, at no additional patient cost, and helps them avoid unnecessary travel and inconvenience.
What resources are available?
Our care providers will have access to the latest Mayo Clinic expertise and clinical care resources to use when treating patients. These resources include:
- AskMayoExpert (AME) — An online tool developed by Mayo physicians to provide a concise resource at the point of care. AME offers disease management, care guidelines, treatment recommendations, patient education and reference materials for a wide variety of medical conditions. AME is available to all care providers.
- eConsult — An electronic tool that promotes specialist-to-specialist consultation. Mat-Su Regional physicians can ask a Mayo Clinic specialist a specific question about a patient. The eConsult can request input about diagnosis, therapy or management, which is done through a review of select materials including pertinent pages of the electronic medical record, imaging studies, and laboratory results. Mayo delivers a formal response in 2-3 business days of receiving complete information.
- eBoards — Live, interactive conferences of five tumor boards and one inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) board. Mat-Su Regional providers can view, participate in and present during these informal, educational discussions on the management of complex cases with a Mayo Clinic multidisciplinary panel and other providers within the network.
- Mayo Clinic Patient Education — Mayo’s library of patient education can be accessed within AskMayoExpert (AME), where they can be downloaded and printed at the point of care. More than 2,500 of the patient education materials are available for distribution to patients.
- Mayo Clinic Grand Rounds — Conference presentations by Mayo Clinic physicians and scientists in a variety of specialties are archived and available for provider viewing and earning CME credit.
- Health Care Consulting is a program offered to members of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Mat-Su Regional Medical Center staff can identify opportunities and shared experiences and then consult with Mayo Clinic subject matter experts to learn more about Mayo’s processes, procedures, and protocols. We can then use these learnings to achieve new levels of patient care excellence.
Why did Mayo Clinic choose Mat-Su Regional for participation in the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
Mat-Su Regional was evaluated through a rigorous review process and selected to be part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network because we share with Mayo Clinic a common philosophy, commitment, and mission to improve the delivery of healthcare through high quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care and treatment.
Is this agreement about sending referrals to Mayo Clinic?
No, there is no obligation to refer patients to Mayo. The primary goal of Mat-Su Regional and Mayo Clinic through the Mayo Clinic Care Network is to help patients gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise while they continue to receive their care as close to home as possible, ensuring they travel outside the region for care only when necessary.
Does this mean Mat-Su Regional could be purchased by Mayo Clinic?
This agreement is not an acquisition or merger. Mat-Su Regional is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network and, like other members, we remain an independent healthcare provider dedicated to serving the needs of our communities.
Who can access AskMayoExpert (AME)?
All Mat-Su Regional staff have access to AskMayoExpert behind our organization’s firewall. Medical providers with a registered account can access AME when off campus.
Who can access eConsults?
eConsults are designed for specialist-to-specialist interaction. Physicians who request an electronic consultation with a Mayo Clinic specialist will have a specific question on a patient’s care and then work with our eHealth Coordinator who will upload pertinent medical records to Mayo’s secure portal to complete the request.
Does the Mayo Clinic Care Network have a website?
How will I learn more about the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
Mat-Su Regional will communicate with you information and opportunities to learn more about the tools provided us through this network membership. You can also learn more about the network and Mayo on the Member Website: http://carenetworkmembers.mayoclinic.org/